Treating daily stress and anxiety can be difficult, especially when there are only 24 hours in the day to get everything done and there never seems to be enough time left over to unwind and breathe.
The daily grind of life can take a toll on anyone and if you don’t take a time-out, occasionally, to take-care of yourself you can end up feeling the pains of stress and even some anxiety. There are certain essential oils that we love to use to help alleviate everyday stress and calm the anxiety and put your mind at ease, even if for a short while. Here are some of our favorites.
1. Clary Sage Essential OilThis earthy, floral smelling oil is extracted from the clary sage herb found predominantly in France and Italy but is also cultivated worldwide after its use become popular for its many benefits. The word “clary” gets its name from the Latin word “clarus” which means “clear.” Often used to help improve vision (referred to as “clear eyes” in the Middle Ages) it was more popularly used to aid in tired eye conditions and to enhance the flavour of wine. Having trouble sleeping? Sage essential oil has been known to aid in the treatment of insomnia. Sage aids in clearing the mind and helping the body to relax and it is a popular oil used in aromatherapy and as an antidepressant. How to use? Add a few drops to a warm bath or use in its straight (natural) form in an oil diffuser and keep it close while resting.
2. Bergamot Essential OilMade from the cold-pressed rind of a nearly ripe fruit of the bergamot tree, this peculiar tree is a cross-breed of the lemon tree and orange tree. Bergamot has been cultivated throughout Southern Italy and Sicily. Bergamot oil boats powerful soothing, antianxiety and antidepressant effects. When used in aromatherapy, bergamot oil has been known to help alleviate stress or triggers that may cause stress, and to lower anxiety levels, and to relieve depression. How to use? Bergamot essential oil can be added in aromatherapy uses to treat various anxiety and stress conditions. Add to a bath or inhale for through a diffuser for best results.
3. Rose Essential OilWhile Rose oil has many boasting benefits for a variety of reasons, one of the greatest uses of this fruity yet subtle smelling essential oil is its ability to help relieve anxiety, depression, panic attacks and for those who are dealing with grief and shock. Clinical tests of nearly thirty women in a postpartum stage of life treated half of them with a rose and lavender oil aromatherapy treatment. They followed this practice twice weekly for a month, while the control group did not. Remarkably, postnatal depression was lessened in the rose group, as well as a lower occurrence of anxiety! How to use? Place in a diffuser, 5-6 drops, and enjoy next to your bed before dozing off.
4. Vetiver Essential OilUsed for centuries as a traditional Ayurvedic medicine hailing from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand, Vetiver oil has been used to treat various body pains and infections through a traditional method. Vetiver is best used for fighting depression, balancing mood swings, and for a sense of grounding and calming when life feels out of control. It also helps soothe feelings of anger, irritability and hysteria. Some other benefits of Vetiver:
- - Lifts mood; anti-depressant
- - Calms and relaxes nerves; good for anxiety, flashbacks and hysteria
- - Relieves stress and tension
- - Grounds the emotions
- - Promotes sleep; good for insomnia
- - Relaxes tight, stiff muscles
- - Eases pain; good for headaches, muscle pain
Product mentioned in this post:
- Clary Sage Essential Oil
- Bergamot Essential Oil
- Rose Essential Oil
- Clary Sage Essential Oil
- Vetiver Essential Oil