Did you know that many plants contain potentially helpful compounds that can promote good health? These plants are harvested for their concentrated extracts that eventually, through distillation, become essential oils. These oils are used in aromatherapy and naturopathy treatments. The reason essential oils are used is because they are much more potent, and have a much stronger aroma than the plants they come from. Often they are added to carrier oils because the pure component is too potent to be used directly. Regardless of how they are used, essential oils work as a natural health remedy when used correctly.
Uses of Essential Oils
In the 21st century, essential oils are being used for a multitude of purposes. Some of their applications are listed below:
- The cosmetic and makeup industry is using it to craft a variety of products. Essential oils are being added to perfumes, and used to add fragrance to creams and body washes. They even work as a natural antioxidant in some beauty care products.
- Those who practice natural medicine, such as aromatherapists, also make use of essential oils. They diffuse the aromatic oil into the airof the treatment room, and it is breathed in to calm the patient’s mind and soul.
- It is believed by aromatherapists that breathing in essential oils benefits the body in various ways. Components of the oil enter the lungs and bloodstream, potentially bringing a lot of health benefits for the body.
- Apart from inhaling it, essential oil can also be added to carrier oil and massaged into the skin for topical absorption. This is another way to benefitfrom the helpful compounds of essential
Precautions to follow:
- Many people make the mistake of applying apure essential oil directly onto the skin. It is vital that the oil is first diluted and then applied. Only under the direct guidance of a healthcare professional should you use the essential oil in its pure form.
- Since essential oils are extremely concentrated, they shouldn’t be swallowed. Doing so can be dangerous as they can irritate the sensitive cells inside the body, resulting in major
- Oral capsules containing essential oils are also available, and consumed by some people. This should only be done with expert advice or under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
- Regular commercial essential oils shouldnot be used near open orifices where they could enter the body, e.g. mouth, eyes, ears, anus, or vagina.
Are they effective?
There is a vast array of essential oils that are effective, but the effectiveness depends upon the purpose. Some of the most popular essential oils that are often found in markets or online shops are:
- Tea Tree
The compounds present in these essential oils have some amazing health effects on the human body. They can be used to treat many issues like headaches, constipation, cold sores, sinus infections, depression, anxiety, and sore muscles.
Summing It Up
Essential oils are the liquid extract of beneficial plants and flowers. All you need to know is how to correctly use them to reap the benefits and treat various health problems. Always remember not to consume essential oils, and to always dilute them before applying them to the skin.